Pages

Very important disclaimer

Please be advised that the contents of this blog are opinions only (my opinion, the opinions of my family and the opinions of anyone else directly or indirectly involed in this blog). This is not an accredited training blog, nor is it an accredited anything blog. If you (and you) do anything that this blog says, or don't do anything that this site says not to do, and you get injured, sick or killed, you cannot blame me or my family or blame anyone else directly or indirectly involved in this blog. By reading anything on this blog (including this message) you are saying that you are a person who makes thier own choices in life and does not hold the writer of this blog, the writers family or any one else that may be directly or indirectly involved in the production or writing of this blog, responsible for your stupid and irresponsible behaviors, injuries, sicknesses or deaths. With that said, please enjoy my fun blog.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

That race was fun, now let’s give something else away!

GU! Just for YOU, Canada!

sponsor guCanada: Flag (Canadian Flag)sponsor gu

I have tried ALL sorts of gels, drinks, bars, bits, beans and skittles… but I always come back to Gu Products. I have now decided (especially after my great half marathon on Oct 2nd) to stick with it.

I will hydrate with Gu Electrolyte Brew, I will fuel with Gels and Chomps (I use gels mostly, but I tried the Chomps on my Epic Trail Run a number of weeks ago and LOVED them and can’t wait to test them in regular training) and I will recover with GU Recovery drink (although I wasn’t a fan of the taste of this as much as the rest)

The winner of this contest will take home a full sample pack of GU products, so you can test, test, test, until you find what you like! I know for a fact you will find a gel flavour that will suit you. No doot aboot it!

Canada only… stay out mercans. (comment tho, what you like about GU, so you get the Canucks up here excited)

Here is exactly what you are playing for:

[IMG_7242[4].jpg]

  • 9 regular Gels
  • 3 Roctane Gels
  • 2 Electrolyte Brews
  • 1 Recovery Brew
  • 2 Gu Chomps

Here are the rules for Entry.

The First Rule is a must, and you can’t make other entries unless this one is completed

  1. Follow me on this here blog (You have to click the follow button on the left side and set up or already have a Google account) +1 Entry, separate comment on this page
  2. Follow Me on Facebook and/or Twitter +1 Entry for each, separate comment for each, if you already do, please comment so I can count your entry
  3. Follow GU on Facebook and/or Twitter +1 Entry for each, separate comment for each, if you already do, please comment so I can count your entry
  4. Tell me your run fuelling horror story +1 Entry, separate comment on this page
  5. Tell me the funniest thing you have seen eaten, or have eaten on the run. +1 Entry, separate comment on this page

This contest will end on Oct 25th, and the winner will be drawn on Oct 26th. Thanks for playing! The next contest will be open to Mercans and Mejihans too!

And, since it’s been over a day since I posted a feature photo… here Y’ar!

CIMG6538

61 comments:

  1. I follow your blog and my mug is there on the left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow you and your kamikaze headband picture on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow you on Twitter and your NeilZee headband and sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was chewing on some jelly-bean shaped snacks before one run, and my wife yelled to me if I wanted anything to take on the run, I opened my mouth to show her I was chewing something already and I ran off. (I run with my mouth open.)

    When I got back from my 45 minute run, I looked in the mirror and my entire bottom lip and chin were blue like anti-freeze from the jelly beans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. funniest thing I have eaten on the run is a slice of meat-lovers pizza from Little Caesars that my wife handed to me from the car as she slowed down

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, horror story? Doesn't sound all that bad written out, but my gut was less than impressed...
    On my first 32km run I was running 20 + 1s so I thought that I'd take my GUs at 40 minutes to correspond with my walk breaks. Ugh. There is such a thing as too much GU. Add to that the gummy bears offered at half way (which I'd never tried) and you get cramps and nausea at the same time. Let's just say that the last 2km were less than ideal and if my car hadn't been parked at the store I would have just run home so I could die in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish I was Canadian right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funniest thing eaten - umm, I'm not a funny eater...I did buy the new M&M pretzel candy and ate it on a run so I wouldn't feel guilty about the extra calories.
    Funny, no, pathetic, yep, a little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Run fuel horror story...umm not really during but an after. After we ran Urban Venus 10k and I took the free cupcake (ate only half, but man, it was big) and then had my usual post run chocolate milk, not a good idea from any angle! Upset stomach from the massive instant injection of sugar and I'm pretty sure i ate more calories 5 minutes post race than I used running a PR for the 10k.
    Gu recovery, regardless of taste, would have been 100 times better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last one, I can't do anymore for free Gu!
    I am a follower of Gu on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love me some Gu! I already follow you on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already follow you on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't follow you on twitter. I believe that if you have something to say, it's worth taking more than 140 or whatever it is characters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Run fueling horror story. Hmmm. During my first half marathon, as the end of a long day during the Chinook half IM, I was getting desperate. I tried a Honey Stinger gel, and thought my head would explode. I like sweet stuff. Straight honey - bring it on. Chocolate - love it! But this gel was awful. I nearly spat it out. And worst of all, it didn't even give me any energy. I felt just as flat after as before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funniest thing seen eaten on a run? Hmmmmm. Three years ago, a gel would be the funniest thing. Now, that's normal, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. um.... I'm movinng to canada so I can be eligible! Is there a rule about how long you have to live in Canada before entering your giveaway? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5. Tell me the funniest thing OR PERSON you have seen eaten, or have eaten on the run. +1 Entry, separate comment on this page.

    As an impartial American with nothing to gain in this contest, I think if you emend rule 5 as above, you'll get much more interesting answers. You gotta figure that Gu-Eaters have probably eaten some very funny people ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Twit follow you - LauraRMuise

    ReplyDelete
  19. Refueling horror stories? Hmm..nothing too bad thus far but during my 30km run a few weeks ago...the new gel I tried (NOT Gu) decided to not stay down. I guess if you are going to barf, it is best that it happens when you only have 5km left...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Follow you on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  21. Follow Because all the Cool Kids Blog...verification word on last post...ProToke, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Followed GU on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  23. horror story...well back in the day when I rode my bike a lot I have eaten a number of flying insects, mmmmm crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I follow your blog officially now : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I already follow you on FB

    ReplyDelete
  26. Horror story...eating half a lemon larabar before speed intervals = killer heartburn

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lastly, funniest thing would be us eating skittles before one of the runs in Sikome and I keep burping red skittles the entire run. Gross...but funny : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. I follow you now, although not for the giveaway being a lowly "merican" and all, mostly because I want to be a cool kid too and I thought to do this I must need to get in with the Canada land people. Also, I really like Gu... but not Canada Geese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just started following you on twitter... while still figuring out twitter

    ReplyDelete
  30. Horror story-- This is not mine, but one of those friend of a friend of a friend did this. During the Ottawa race weekend, they handed out Vaseline on a Popsicle stick, one of the runners did not realize what it was and she popped it in her mouth expecting a yummy treat to discover it was not.... yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The funniest thing would have been to see the women eat the Vaseline... however, on our runs I have tried eating m&m's in the summer, not a smart idea, they can melt in your hand or all over your fuel belt.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I follow here.

    My first half marathon was my first race and I didn't know what I was doing. At the third aid station I thought the person holding up the popsicle stick was handle out some kind of food on stick and down the hatch it went WRONG!!! it was Vaseline!. I spent the next 10 minutes spiting the crap out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The GU pack looks great, and I do follow you already.

    The stupidest thing I ever did was the night BEFORE race day when I went to a BBQ and ate things that I wasn't used to eating before running.

    The next day I was in a lot "gastric distress" for the whole run.

    Maybe TMI? But I learned my lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Follow your blog.

    Follow you on twitter.

    Follow GU on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  35. It was my very first marathon and I was stupid. I just figured I could get by on Gatorade and maybe take a gel at the 32 km mark. I started cramping up and crashed hard before I ever saw 32 km. I walked, hobbled, and stopped for the next 10 k. I started taking gels but by then it was just too late. I learned a lot from that race…for one…fuel is as important as water in a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. While on a long training run with my buddy and his dad…his dad brought along 3 (one for each of us) boiled and salted potatoes, skin on, soggy and in little plastic baggies. He swore by them…and strongly recommended that we try them when we got half way through our run. The thing is…how do you carry a soggy boiled potato for 16km without looking like you’ve a) “stuffed” your front, or you’ve b) “messed” your back? My buddy’s dad ate his like it was cake. My buddy and I tried, almost gagged…and tossed them for our gels.

    ReplyDelete
  37. GU please!!

    We're twitter pals, and I'm following your blog.

    That should be +2 right? :)

    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  38. ... just found your blog - need nutrition alternatives! Was loving another brand's Mocha flavor, so much so that I ate 4 of them at the Calgary 70.3, and had a wicked caffeine crash.
    Not much of a horror story, aside from the fact that bonking sucks.
    I once got food poisoning and puked in the middle of a client meeting with my Sales Director and VP in the room... THAT was a horror story. We're talking clients worth tens of thousands of dollars... they were nice about it at least.
    Followed the blog, and twitter

    ReplyDelete
  39. My only really funny moment (well for anyone watching) was when I was doing a half and thought I was taking a cup of H20 and splashed it in my face... it was gatorade, I was left sticky, but it probably improved my smell at that point...

    ReplyDelete
  40. I follow your blog

    joanne

    ReplyDelete
  41. I signed up to follow gu!

    joanne

    ReplyDelete
  42. Well, as far as something I have refueled with...not as horrible as some I am sure, but during Lost Soul Ultra, the last 10 km, I started to have really dreadful calf cramps, but I couldn't stomach anything, so I just opened a packet of salt (meant to be put on potatoes at the aid station) dumped the whole thing in my mouth and washed it down with lukewarm overly diluted electrolyte drink from my camelback. Mmmmm, YUMMY!

    But it took away the cramps!

    joanne

    ReplyDelete
  43. Okay, last entry. I used to live in Taiwan and there are different ideas there about fueling during a race, usually water stations are empty, and you will often see people sitting around in the morning, eating pastries and having a smoke mere minutes before the start. So I guess, weirdest thing I have seen people consume before (and sometimes during a race) would be tobacco.

    joanne

    ReplyDelete