and that’s cool. Barefooting, I mean. I went out for an easy 5k today and it was warm enough to go bare. No thinking required. No concentrating on form. No worrying about to heavy of a footstrike. It was all natural. Very smooth, very easy, very light.
After the 15.5k race yesterday in the 5’s, it was incredibly welcome. After tonight's run I can’t understand how I pounded my feet so much. 3mm of rubber sole and a tech sock. I might as well have been in Reebok pumps. I guess the education continues. I so much love to run barefoot, I am sure going to miss it this winter. I really hope I don’t have to re-learn everything next spring. I will probably go to the gym for a weekly barefoot run on the treadmill, just for a reminder.
So yeah, the 5k was super. I found myself wishing for a longer run again.
Just thought I would put pen to paper as to what my sched is for the next little while:
- Nov 6th - Banff WinterStart – 5miler Night race, in.. well.. Banff! (I don’t have a bib yet, but hopefully…)
- Nov 14th – Last Chance Half Marathon
- The Calgary Roadrunners have a Cross Country series in the winter. 4k and 8k choices, tasty soup after! I hope to participate in these
- Nov 13 –Edworthy Park
- Dec 4 – Okotoks
- Dec 18 - Silver Springs
- Jan 8 – Nose Creek
- Jan 29 – 12 Mile Coulee
- Feb 26 – Weaselhead
- Mar 12 – Fish Creek, I should certainly be at this one as it’s right out my door.
- Dec 31 – Run a potion of Martins final Marathon! Wow, 250 marathons in 1 year!
Speaking of the local legend; Here are Martin’s stats as of today… simply amazing.
- Marathon: #194
- Date: Monday Oct 18th 2010
- Donations to date: $99,244.45
- Course: Cochrane Town Marathon
- Run time: 6hr15min 40sec (See Garmin Connect)
- Aver. Heart Rate: 93 BPM
- Temperature C: 0C
- Distance covered to date: 8,186.8km (5082.8ml)
- Equivalent Flight distance, Calgary to: San Marino, San Marino
- Total number of runners: 1
In other Martin news, on 10.10.10, he went out at ran a 3:43 marathon in Victoria and qualified for Boston! Wow! Martin varies the speed of each marathon distance he runs - as he sees fit to stay fit. Most with a run-walk strategy, but every time he enters a proper marathon, his competitive juices get flowing. If you don’t think this nice fellow is for real, check out his resume! Martin really should be a RoadID or a GU, etc Athlete don’t you think? Martin doesn’t have a big sponsor, and is taking time off from his own career to raise money for Right-to-Play. Any of you BIG sponsors out there want to step up, now would be a good time. He actually has to ask for freaking shoes every 10 marathons… can you believe it? He reported 2 days ago that he took his 10 millionth step that day… yikes.
I have a donation page on his page. If you were ever so inclined to donate to something… do it for the kids! Click here to donate.
A RE-draw! A non-response from RJ with fair warning has given the non-winners from the race another shot at a prize! This time it’s a RoadID gift cert! don’t leave home with out it. I Love my ankle ID and use it on all my runs! here are the entrants. I am using Random.org to draw.
And again; here are some nice pictures that I took sometime, somewhere…
This is a shot taken from the Rimrock Hotel in Banff…
And this one is a shot OF the Rimrock Hotel in Banff. Below it is the Banff Spring Golf Course, very famous…
Please, someone help. How do you get rid of gnomes in your yard??? look that little mommy gnome is MOCKING me!…