Pages

Very important disclaimer

Please be advised that the contents of this blog are opinions only (my opinion, the opinions of my family and the opinions of anyone else directly or indirectly involed in this blog). This is not an accredited training blog, nor is it an accredited anything blog. If you (and you) do anything that this blog says, or don't do anything that this site says not to do, and you get injured, sick or killed, you cannot blame me or my family or blame anyone else directly or indirectly involved in this blog. By reading anything on this blog (including this message) you are saying that you are a person who makes thier own choices in life and does not hold the writer of this blog, the writers family or any one else that may be directly or indirectly involved in the production or writing of this blog, responsible for your stupid and irresponsible behaviors, injuries, sicknesses or deaths. With that said, please enjoy my fun blog.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Barefoot update, 1 month!!!

I was running around the neighbourhood tonight and I remembered it was a month since I started running barefoot!

What have I learned.

  • Barefoot Josh is da Bomb. He is my Yoda. He is the single reason I started being BFcurious.
  • Run with your head looking up higher than you think is appropriate.
  • I will take cuts, abrasions and bruises everytime over ITBS, PF, Runners Knee, Sciatica… Everyday!
  • Tonight, I learned that running in the dusk, approaching dark, is not the preferred time of day for Barefoot runners.
  • Do you understand… what I mean in the above comment?
  • Like, running in the dark is hard to see stuff to avoid… Right?
  • My feet are excellent running coaches, and unlike other coaches, I listen to them.
  • My barefoot injuries have been in order of incident
    • Stepped on a rock in a spray park running after Andrew
    • Stepped on and got a tiny cut by a broken christmas light (yeah I never take them down and a few were busted in the big storm on Monday)
    • Stepped on a rock in the dark tonight walking back to the house.
  • None of those injuries were while running.

I am so grateful to have found my inner (and outer) barefootery.

Tonight I went out and ran a 6x400m interval run, ran up to a 4:45/km pace in the last interval. Felt fantastic. here are my feet after tonights run. The circular bit the left foot is the remnants of the blister I got 30 days ago. All good now! there is a mark in the center of my right foot as I stepped on a rock in the dark. yep.

foot 2 foot 1

  • Barefoot mileage since June 29th : 61.2km *WooT* (38 miles to you Mercans)
  • VFF mileage since July 7th : 11.8km
  • Shoe mileage since SOBF (start of barefoot): 5km (25:30 5k race PR on July 1st)

I haven’t ran in shoes since that race on July 1st!

My parting question to you is:

When you are all alone in your house, and you are naked, like after a shower, and you drop something or need to pick something up – Do you bend from the knees or bend from the waist?

I’m not going to tell you how I did it today or how it made me feel.

Goodnight!

5 comments:

  1. Kaboom!

    I may have pointed you in the right direction here and there, but your own feet are doing the coaching.

    Thanks for the 'Mercan conversion. For a while I thought you were running twice as far as you really were...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i use my toes...i also have a habit of curling them under while seated. drives my wife nuts. she can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started barefoot running, I hurt myself only after a run while walking, I would be less aware, stub my toe, step on rocks, etc. Running barefoot is easier, for me, than walking barefoot.

    ReplyDelete