Pages

Very important disclaimer

Please be advised that the contents of this blog are opinions only (my opinion, the opinions of my family and the opinions of anyone else directly or indirectly involed in this blog). This is not an accredited training blog, nor is it an accredited anything blog. If you (and you) do anything that this blog says, or don't do anything that this site says not to do, and you get injured, sick or killed, you cannot blame me or my family or blame anyone else directly or indirectly involved in this blog. By reading anything on this blog (including this message) you are saying that you are a person who makes thier own choices in life and does not hold the writer of this blog, the writers family or any one else that may be directly or indirectly involved in the production or writing of this blog, responsible for your stupid and irresponsible behaviors, injuries, sicknesses or deaths. With that said, please enjoy my fun blog.

Friday, March 26, 2010

I just finished…

… the book ‘Born to Run’ By Christopher McDougall. If you haven’t read it… do. I wish it hadn’t ended. It made me appreciate running in a way I hadn’t ever before. Even before I finished the book, when I was only part way through, I found myself liking running more and more. Lots of my running friends tell me (and I used to say this as well) ‘I most like the feeling of satisfaction I get at the end of a run’. While reading this book, I found myself enjoying the act of running more and more. My run last Wednesday, which I hope is a sign of things to come, was my most enjoyable run ever. I concentrated on running ‘easy’ and ‘light’, as the books reluctant hero Cabello Blanco (White Horse) puts it, and it really was just that. For me, it doesn’t mean there isn’t effort, as there is still lots of effort, it’s just that my mind tells me that what I am doing is good and honest and I am free to be myself. This alone makes the effort seem easier and lighter, if not incredibly worth it.

So now, at the end of a run, I am pretty sure I am satisfied at the effort and all the things it is doing for me health and mindwise, but I am at least as much sad that the run is over. I am incredibly far from ever being an elite athlete of any kind, but this thing (running) is just getting started for me. I was a passionate runner before reading this book, but it sort of gave me permission to really love it.

Thanks Mr. McDougall for a great book!

It doesn’t matter if you are old or young, big or small… Let’s go for RUN!!! *woot*

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget smoooooth!

    This may sound funny coming from me, but the whole shoe thing was, I think, the least important message of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stepping out side of my normal @$$holish persona here to say ... Nice review, brother!

    I seem to fight and hate most runs, but every once in a while I have a run where everything aligns: the weather is nice, the legs turn over as though of their own accord, my thoughts hit a groove and just follow it, and all feels right with the world for the duration of that run. It is almost mystical, transcendent.

    I wish I could get that feeling more often.

    I guess that's why I drink beer. (<--May've stepped back into the ol' @$$hole role for that last line.)

    In any case, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete